Qualification Requirement for Residency:
Before you apply for a lease, please read the following information concerning the approval process. If you have questions, please ask before applying.
Agency Disclosure Notice For Residential Rentals:
Relative to our residential property management accounts and the renting or leasing of those properties, Continental Realty Management, Inc., is the agent of the property owners and/or landlords as our clients.>/p>
Application Process & Screening Criteria:
Continental Realty Management, Inc. is committed to equal housing and we do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Act (FFHA).
It is illegal to Discriminate Against Any Person Because of Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Handicap, Familial Status, National Origin or Age. We also comply with all state and local fair housing laws. We offer application forms to everyone who requests one. Each occupant over the age of 19 must complete an application and pay the application fee.
Approval Is Based On These Factors:
- Rental History
- Employment Verification/history
- Income Verification
- Credit History
- Criminal Background Check & Unlawful Detainers
It is the policy of Continental Realty Management, Inc. to thoroughly investigate all individuals applying for residency. Each individual applicant must meet requirements to be approved. Individual owners may have higher or lower qualification requrements. All applicants must provide two (2) forms of identification with one (1) form being government-issued picture identification. All applications signed outside the presence of Watts Realty representative must be notarized by a certified Notary Public.
A cosigner may be requested at the company’s discretion if the applicant is a full-time student, recently independent individual, or has non-garnishable wages. The cosigner must be in good standing with his or her credit, must demonstrate a stable employment history and must have available assets in the state of Alabama.
All applicants are processed through a professional credit bureau service. Our ability to process your application in a timely manner is dependent upon the thoroughness and accuracy of your responses. We will then inform you of the acceptance or refusal of your application. ALL QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR CREDIT HISTORY SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE CREDIT BUREAU. DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR CREDIT HISTORY WITH THE OFFICE STAFF.
The application process will take a minimum of 48 hours and includes, but is no limited to, investigation of the following:
1. RESIDENCE HISTORY: Verification of current and past residence include: length of residency, rental amount, payment history, the absence or presence of complaints, the condition of property upon vacating, the cost of damages incurred, and history of proper notice given regarding intent to move. A stable rental history is expected of all applicants. If you currently own your residence, your mortgage payment amount and payment history may be verified.
2. EMPLOYMENT HISTORY: Verification of current employment includes length of employment and gross salary. Your most recent employment and current employment must be of reasonable length of time and should demonstrate stability in your employment history. Self-employed applicants must furnish their most recent tax return for review.
3. CREDIT HISTORY & CRIMINAL RECORD: A full credit history and criminal record is prepared on each applicant and cosigner.
4. BANKRUPTCY: The application may not be accepted if the applicant has filed for bankruptcy or with debtors court withing the last year (1) year.
Once the application process has begun, the application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. Any potential problems should be discussed with the office personnel when you submit your application. Complete and accurate information will facilitate rapid processing of your application. Any false or omitted information on the application will be considered immediate grounds for rejection of the application. We reserve the right to reject an application for any reason other than race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, familial status, religion, national origin or age.
Rental Criteria For Pets:
Policies on pets vary from home to home. Certain owners do not permit any pets, while others may restrict certain types and/or sizes of pets. No pets are authorized except by a separate pet agreement & fee.
What We Need From You!
The following items are required from you before we can begin processing your application:
1. Two (2) forms of identification (at least 1 government-issued picture ID)
2. Pay Stubs (at least 2 months)
3. Bank Statements or Tax Returns (especially if you are self-employed)
How Much Will I Need To Move In?
Typically equal to one month’s rent. Security deposits must be paid using certifiied funds (cashier’s check or money order) or cash. This amount is noted on the property listing. If you do not know the amount you can contact our office at 205-631-0101.
NOTE: In some cases a double security deposit may be collected.
Approved pets require an additional NONREFUNDABLE pet fee per pet. Note: This fee may be larger for some properties and not all properties allow pets. Please visit the listing or contact the agent regarding individual pet policies.
Per your lease agreement it is a tenant responsibility to determine if all necessary utilities are available to the property and are adequate for your use. Here is a list of common utility providers for your convenience.
POWER: Alabama Power 1-800-245-2244; www.alabamapower.com
WATER: Birmingham Water Works (205) 244-4000; www.bwwb.org
SHELBY COUNTY WATER SERVICES: (205) 678-2818; www.shelbyal.com
GAS: Alagasco 1-800-292-4008; www.alagasco.com
Mail Box Keys:
It is tenant responsibility to obtain new mailbox keys (typically multifamily units) for your new rental home. You will need to take your signed copy of the lease to your local post office. If you have any questions about the process you can contact USPS at 1-800-ASK-USPS.